I’ve taken up the charge to be the so called “Supplemental Wallpaper Wrangler.” With that being said, I want to put call out to everyone to submit supplemental wallpapers for our next release.
What are supplemental wallpapers?
In addition to the standard wallpaper that the design team is working hard to design and finalize, we want to include some addition wallpapers for people to choose from. We will still ship with the default GNOME upstream supplemental wallpapers but, we want to include some more from our community.
What we need
In order to us the image for the supplemental wallpapers we need some basic information
- URL of the image (ie. “where it’s at”)
- Title of the work in question
- Name of the author (their real name is preferable, but a nickname with a link to the profile on the page the image is from works as well)
- Contact information for the author, email if possible
- URL of the source page that the image was originally from
- The license of the photo (has to be compatible with the Fedora requirements)
In addition to this, what the image is of is important (see the wiki for the full requirements)
- Must not contain brand names or trademarks of any kind
- Must not contain material that is inappropriate, offensive, indecent, obscene, hateful, tortuous, defamatory, slanderous or libelous
- No religious, political, or nationalist imagery (including flags)
- No images of hats, particularly fedoras. (This is a matter of respect for our primary sponsor, Red Hat, Inc., and is not negotiable. Of course, passive appearance of hats, such as those upon heads in a crowd, may be allowed.)
- No version numbers. End users might prefer to continue to use an older theme, or use the latest theme in their older version of Fedora. To enable that choice, do not use any version numbers within the Fedora artwork.
- No text. Text should not be used in the backgrounds because the artwork is intended for a global audience and to be reused by derivative distributions.
- Should not contain images of people (contemporary, historical, or fictional)
- Should not contain images of pets, or captive or mistreated animals
How to submit
So, got that perfect image in mind for a supplemental wallpaper? Great! If the image meets all of the requirements then all you need to do is add it to the submissions section of the wiki and wait. We will take submissions until 23:59 UTC on August 9th 2011 following that the design team will vote for the top 15 and they will be packaged up and included in the Fedora 16 release.
If you have any questions feel free to email me (pcon AT fedoraproject DOT org) or contact me (pcon) in #fedora-design on freenode